GLASS, TILE AND CERAMIC
APPLICATIONS & TECHNIQUES
Painting with Liquitex Glossies
Liquitex Glossies are water based acrylic enamels that are specially formulated to adhere to slick, non porous materials such as: glass, tiles, glazed ceramics, stoneware, china, enamelware, primed metal, wood and other non-oily surfaces.
- Surface must be free of all dirt, oils or soap films prior to paint application.
- After cleaning, avoid touching surface prior to and during paint application. Oil from fingers reduces the adhesion of Glossies.
Approach #1: Clean surface with solution of soap and warm water. Rinse thoroughly. Then clean with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol or with a 50/50 mixture of water and vinegar. Blot dry with paper towel.
Approach #2: Clean surface with denatured alcohol.
- Stir Glossies 30-60 seconds before using. pigments in colors will settle to the bottom of the jar.
- Metallic Glossies require thorough mixing. The mica "metallic" flakes settle to bottom of jar and shaking will not mix paint up thoroughly.
- For proper adhesion, let paint di-y at room temperature for 24 hours, then heat set.
- While wet, Glossies may be removed from non-porous surfaces at any time. Wipe clean with soft cotton rag, cotton swab or toothpick. The longer Glossies are permitted to dry on the surface, the harder it will be to wipe clean. It may be necessary to use warm water and abrasive cleaner.
- Chalk or graphite pencils may be used to transfer patterns and designs to surface. Do not use waxy pencils or marking pens.
- If possible, keep painted surface horizontal until dry. Glossies may "slide" on nonporous surfaces if not thoroughly air dried prior to heat setting.
- Clean up with soap and water.
- Glossies can be thinned up to 25% with water to achieve varying consistencies and degrees of opacity. Over thinning will adversely affect adhesion.
- All Glossies are intermixable to make custom colors and shades.
- Mix Glossies colors with Glossies White to make custom pastel colors.
- Mix Glossies colors with Glossies Metallic colors to create custom iridescent colors. Iridescent effects will be more dramatic on dark surfaces.
- Several thin layers of Glossies are better than one thick layer. Single heavy layers may bubble when baked.
- The thicker the application of Glossies, the greater the possibility of incomplete drying and final baked paint adhesion.
- For multiple layers of colors, allow each layer of Glossies to air-dry (1 hour minimum, 24 hours best) before applying next layer.
- Blow drying (i.e. hair dryer) underneath layers speeds up drying and reduces the possibility of the bottom layer picking up during top layer application.
- Glossies can be repainted after heat setting without affecting color or adhesion.
- Use brushes suitable for acrylic or watercolor paint. Don't let paint dry on brushes.
- Soft brushes apply smooth, even color. Stiff brushes work best for stippling.
- To blend two colors together in the same stroke (double load brushing), apply left side of brush with one color, right side of brush with another color.
- To blend two or more colors, apply Glossies and blend colors together while wet.
Glazing and Stained Glass Effects
- Mix Glossies up to 25% with water to achieve different colored glazes. Overthinning will adversely affect adhesion.
- Allow each glaze layer to completely dry before applying the next layer.
- To outline shapes in thin paint lines, apply Glossies through a plastic syringe.
Stenciling & Masking
- Use masking or drafting tape to mask out areas where design does not go.
- Prepared stencils may be found in art and home decor stores or create your own using heavy paper or plastic.
- For masking and stenciling apply Glossieswith sponge or stencil brush. Avoid moving stencil during application.
Sponging and Dabbing
- Natural sponges works best. They can be found in most art or home decor stores.
- Bake for a durable, scratch resistant, high gloss finish.
- Any non-porous surface that is oven safe, such as: glass, tile, glazed ceramic, china, stoneware, enamelware or primed metal.
- Bake only in a well-ventilated space. Do not inhale any resultant fumes.
- Place air-dried Glossies in cold oven, set temperature at 325 F (163 C).
- Turn on oven for 45 minutes.
- Turn off oven, open oven door and let baked Glossies Cool until they may be removed with bare hand.
- Baking at a lower temperature or reducing baking time may adversely affect scratch resistance.
- Test surface by baking, prior to Glossies application to insure it can withstand oven temperature.
- Measure oven temperature accuracy prior to Glossies baking.
- Do not heat set in toaster oven or microwave oven.
- Thick applications of Glossies may result in incomplete baked paint adhesion. Longer drying time prior to baking and longer baking times may improve final adhesion. Do a test to insure proper final adhesion,
- To test baked surface finish, allow to cool and lightly scratch the surface with your fingernail. Your fingernail should not be able to scratch the paint.
For durable, scratch resistant, high gloss colors on any applicable surface that is too large for oven heat setting.
- Blow directly on surface for no less than 30 minutes. Less time will adversely affect adhesion and scratch resistance of paint.
For durable, high gloss colors on any porous surface that does not require scratch resistance.
- Allow painted surface to fully air dry. Do not heat set.
Use and Care
- Hand wash in warm water with mild detergent. obaked Glossies Will soften when soaked in hot water or exposed to heat, and return to proper hardness upon cooling. Allow heat set Glossies to cool prior to rubbing, cleaning or wetting.
- Do not place hot items on painted surface.
- Not recommended for shower stall tile installation. Repeated exposure to hot water will adversely affect adhesion.
- Not recommended for "heavy use" applications, such as kitchen countertops, floors, etc.
- Do not clean Glossies with scouring cleaners, as they will abrade surface. ocare should be taken if using grout between heat set Glossies tiles. Grout is abrasive and can scratch surface. A non-abrasive acrylic tile grout is recommended.
- Do not use on flexible surfaces.
- Do not use in food contact surface applications.
- May be used on outside of mugs, bowls, etc. Do not paint within the top 3/4" (20 mm) of drinking vessel. May be painted on underside of clear glass dishes.