GEL MEDIUMS - Extra High Viscosity
- Extra heavy body medium of great density which dries to translucent gloss finish.
- Mix with acrylic paint to increase body, density, viscosity and attain oil paint like consistency with brush or palette knife marks.
- Extends paint while increasing brilliance and transparency
- Keeps paint workable for a longer period of time than other gel mediums.
Refer to the following Part 11 Applications & Techniques Sections: Acrylic Sheets, Collage, Glazing, Transferring Printed Images, Brushworks: Blending (Wet into Wet) and - lmpasto
As An Extender:
As A Ground:
With Powdered Pigments:
- Use as the binder for powdered pigments to make an inexpensive "student grade" extra- heavy viscosity (thick) gloss paint.
- A marble "putty" made of marble dust and 100% polymer emulsion.
- Used to build heavy textures on rigid supports and create three-dimensional forms.
- Dries to the hardness of stone. It can be sanded or carved when thoroughly dry.
- Can be handled like clay if the top of the container is removed and some of the water is allowed to slowly evaporate until it reaches a clay-like consistency.
- Adheres to any non-oily, absorbent surface.
- Drying too quickly causes mud cracking that is cosmetic, not structural.
- When mixed with acrylic colors will act as a weak tinting white, while increasing thickness and rigidity.
- Excellent substrate for acrylic paint, oil paint, oil pastel, oil bars, watercolor, graphite or dry pastel.
- Apply with knife, brush, cake decorating tools, etc.
- To prevent shrinkage cracks (mud cracking), dry slowly by covering loosely with plastic wrap. Apply less than 1/4" layer at a time. Mix with acrylic colors to produce a colored tinted paste.
- When dry, Acrylic Modeling Paste may be painted with acrylic or oil colors.
- Sculptural: Apply in thin layers allowing each layer to dry before applying next layer. If cracks appear, allow to dry and fill in with additional thin layer of Acrylic Modeling Paste.
- Rigid support: Use straight from container.
- Flexible Mix Acrylic Modeling Paste support: 50/50 with Gloss Gel Medium, Matte Gel Medium or Gloss Heavy Gel Medium.
- Ground: Apply a thin layer of Acrylic Modeling Paste to rigid surface (i.e. wood), using a palette knife, trowel or roller. Let dry, then sand smooth. Repeat if necessary.Absorbent Mix 1/4 Acrylic Modeling Paste ground: with 1/4 LIQUITEX Acrylic Gesso. Apply with trowel or roller. Let dry, then sand smooth. Repeat if necessary.
- Paper-Mach.- Mix Acrylic Modeling Paste 50/50 with LIQUITEX Gloss Gel Medium, Matte Gel Medium or Gloss Heavy Gel Medium. Soak paper in this mixture.
Back to Table of Contents